Saturday 23 May 2015

A wee wander

Mike, ( with his intrepid hound, Lucky, had set out to walk Wainwright's Coast to Coast route. Graciously, Mike had invited me to walk with him on his last day. Thus it was that on the Thursday afternoon I was sitting at Grosmont, home of North Yorkshire Moors Railway.  In my rucksack, a few doggy treats and a bag of dog food.
While waiting for Mike and Lucky, I watched with interest the crowds, the majority gents, many of them obviously avid train spotters. One moment there would be the general milling about of folk. Suddenly the mood changed. In a fervid frenzy of excitement, people began to rush up and down the platform. A steam train was approaching and all and sundry vied competitively for the best position to snap that special shot. Honestly, I swear that the crescendo of clicking cameras almost drowned out the noise of the approaching loco!

When the dogged duo arrived, we adjourned to the local tea garden, (note, dogs welcome!) where we supped a goodly brew of tea and indulged in cake and scones.
Our way out of the village was uphill and how. Cardiac hill we named it. Upwards, steeply upwards it climbed, seemingly for ever up. The idea of a defibrillator at the top for poor, struggling hikers was strongly muted. By footpaths and bridleways we wound our way over to toward the village of Little Beck. Our goal was a farmhouse that catered for coast to coasters and  how! Intake Farm is something special. The lady who greeted us with a cheery smile and hand shake, immediately made us welcome. Our pitch was on the farm lawn, all neatly mown. As we pitched our tents we were presented with a tray containing a large pot of tea and slices of homemade cake.

Friday morning was dry and bright. Our way on led us through a delightful forest walk, complete with waterfall and a tea garden. Yes, we did indeed indulge in a pot of tea.
The weather was warm and Mike's trail fitness was obvious as was my lack of. Also,you may notice, he has lost weight. Changes in my meds have mucked me about of late.

Our onward way led along footpaths, road and bridleways. The scenery was lovely and varied.

 We arrived at the camp site mid afternoon. After setting up tents and having a brew, we wandered on down to Robin Hoods Bay. Thus completed Mike and Lucky's Coast to Coast walk. A wonderful achievement and I suggest you pop over to Mike's blog to read of his and the pooches adventures along the way. If you are feeling generous, may I suggest a wee donation to the charity Mike is supporting. Mind, I will point out this was an unsponsored walk, the suggestion of a donation is solely mine. .

A few more photos, a varied selection, not all of this trip.


  1. How disappointing, no horrendous weather to contend with. Please think of your readers!

  2. Ah, but I am starting to get out and about. Something is bound to happen sooner or later!!!

  3. Glad to hear the lads have made it. Looking forward to hearing all about it in due course.

  4. Bet lucky was glad to see supplies arrive!

  5. He rolled over and waved his paws in the air Chrissie!